Birds of Karnataka
The bird activity varies considerably according to the different regions.
Offers good opportunities to sight sea birds like terns and gulls and many other water birds particularly in winter.
The lifeline of south India for all the flora and fauna. A virtual action zone for bird life and also importantly some of the largest and most beautiful butterflies of the Indian sub-continent. Good birding can be done around streams and waterholes. Typical evergreen species like Fairy blue bird, Malabar Trogan [and butterflies like southern birdwing, Paris peacock, Red Helen] can be sighted in the high altitude sholas like Kudremukh National Park (Chickmagalur, Udupi districts) Baba Budaingiris (south & southeastern portions of Bhadra WLS), Bisle Rainforests (Sakleshpura taluk), Pushpagiri WLS, Brahmagiris (Brahmagiri WLS, South Kodagu dist.) and also some parts of Billigiri Ranganatha Hills (B.R.T. WLS, Chamrajnagar dist.).
Deccan Plateau / Eastern Plains
Virtually all the districts of east Karnataka, rain shadow area, good scrub forests and in some areas grasslands. Important birding areas are the grasslands of Ranibennur (Haveri dist.), grasslands of Mydenahalli (Madhugiri taluk, Tumkur district, bordering Ananthpur district of Andhra Pradesh), Dry deciduous forests of Sandur (Bellary), Devarayana Durga hills (near Tumkur), Savanadurga state forest (Magadi Taluk, Bangalore rural district), Cauvery WLS (Mandya dist.)
Endemic bird areas in Karnataka
The following is the list of birds endemic to Western Ghats and found in Karnataka:
- 521 Nilgiri Wood-Pigeon (Columba elphinstonii)
- 564 Bluewinged or Malabar parakeet (Psittacula columbides)
- 1036 Whitebellied treepie (Dendrocitta leucogastra)
- 1114 Grey-headed Bulbul (Pycnonotus priocephalus)
- 1259 Rufous Babbler (Turdoides subrufus)
- 1287 Rufousvented / Wayanad laughing thrush (Garrulax delesserti)
- 1309 Whitebreasted / Grey-breasted Laughing Thrush (Garrulax jerdoni)
- 1427 Black and orange / Black and rufous flycatcher (Muscicapa nigrorufa)
- 1435 White-bellied Blue flycatcher (Muscicapa pallipes)
- 1446 Nilgiri flycatcher (Muscicapa albicaudata)
- 1545 Broad-tailed Grasswarbler / Grassbird (Schoenicola platyura)
- 1637 Rufous-bellied / White-bellied Shortwing (Brachypteryx major)
- 1870 Nilgiri Pipit (Anthus nilghiriensis)
- 1909 Small / Crimson-backed sunbird (Nectarinia minima)
Yellow-throated bulbul is a rare bulbul patchily distributed in the rocky hills of southeastern Karnataka, southwestern Andhra Pradesh, northeast Tamil Nadu and northwest Kerala. D.D. hills, 14 kms from Tumkur, Banerghatta National Park, Savanadurga hills and B.R.T. wildlife sanctuary are good places to watch these birds.
Grassland birds like Great Indian Bustard (only at Ranibennur and a few other sites), Coursers, Sandgrouses and other ground birds can be sighted at Ranibennur (Haveri dist.) and Mydenahalli proposed blackbuck sanctuary (Tumkur district).
List of Bird Sancturies and Wildlife Sancturies