Kudalasangama or Koodalsangama
Kudala Sangama (Kudalasangama Koodalsangama Koodalasangama) is in Bagalkot District of Karnataka. It is a famous pilgrim place for Veerashaivas. Here is the confluence of two big rivers Krishna and Malaprabha. The holy samadhi, Aikya Mantapa is situated here. The Mantapa is under water, but is well protected. There is a temple dedicated to Lord Sangameswara, worshipped in the form of a ling. The temple is an ancient monument built in the Chalukyan style architecture. Distance between Kudala Sangama and Bengaluru, Karnataka is 445.7 km and travel time is around 7 h 10 min via NH50 and NH48.
This place is closely associated with the 12th century poet and social reformer Saint Basaveswara. Basavana Bagewadi is another important place in the locality. Bagalkot Railway Station and Belgaum Airport are the nearest railhead and airport respectively.
The main attractions in and around Kudala Sangama are
- The Sangamanatha Temple in Chalukya style
- The Aikya Linga of Basaveshwara
- The Mahamane Campus of the Basava Dharma Peetha
- The Poojavana, a mini forest with neat paths amidst the trees.
- The Sabha Bhavana. Colossal, it is a spacious auditorium with a seating capacity for 6,000. The exquisite doorways on the four sides - named after Gangambike, Nilambike, Channabasavanna and Akka Nagamma - surround the huge grey dome in the centre.
- The Basava Gopura. Tall, it is slated to house the Basava International Centre. The 200 ft (61 m) high symmetrical tower is imposing.
- Museum. The Ashrama, meant for visitors to stay, also has a museum with a collection of sculptures related to Basavanna and the history of Karnataka state.
Lord Basava the great prophet and social reformer was born in Bagewadi (Basavana Bagewadi), a small village in Bijapur District, in North Karnataka, also called Ingaleshwara Bagewadi. Agrahara was an important place in town. The house of Madiraja the chief of the township was situated here. Basaveshwara was born to Madiraja and Madambike on third day of Vyshakha month of Anandanama year in Rohini star, according to the Hindu calendar. (The year coincides with 1134 A.D.) Basavanna was a great saint; he is considered Guru by some and some believe in him as an incarnation of Nandi, Lord Shiva's greatest devotee.
A true visionary of his time and a revolutionary who started a new religion, Lingayatism (also known as Veershaivism), which literally means 'The brave followers of Shiva'. Basavanna's ultimate aim was to make this fundamental right available to each and everyone. Basavanna, keeping welfare as the ultimate aim, expedited programmes to take religion to the people by preaching and writing religious literature in Kannada. His samadhi is at Kudalasangama.
Kudalasangama Pin code is 587118 and postal head office is Hungund. Kudalasangama STD code is 08351. Nearest railway station to Kudalasangama is Almatti which is 15 km away. Distance from Kudala Sangama to Bagalkot, Karnataka is 52.3 km and travelling takes around 1 h 13 min via NH367.
► Hotels, Accomodation In Kudalasangama
Pinddan at Kudal Sangama - Sangama Kakpura Road Video -